Friday, April 17, 2009

Vegan Mac and Cheese

I think I may be slightly wheat intolerant, I had small allergic reactions to something and ever since I started eating mostly raw my symptoms have disappeared. Until....

We had the missionaries over (one who was vegan!) and they requested vegan mac and cheese. I avoid the processed cheese, so the recipe is below. I have posted this recipe on my other blog, but will repeat here because it's just delicious.

From Vegan Yum Yum:

Mac and Cheeze
Serves 2-3

1/3 Cup Earth Balance Margarine
1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
2 1/2 Tbs Low Sodium Tamari or Soy Sauce
1 Tbs Lemon Juice, fresh
1 Tbs Sweet/White/Mellow Miso
1 Tbs Tahini
1 Tbs Tomato Paste (not sauce!)
1 1/4 Cup Soy Milk
1/3 Cup Nutritional Yeast
1 Pinch Salt
Black Pepper, to taste

Begin by heating a sauce pan and adding the earth balance. Once melted, add flour and whisk vigorously until a smooth paste forms, called a roux. Be careful not to add flour to a pan that is very hot, or your roux will be lumpy and you’ll need to start over. If you mix in the flour as soon as the margarine is melted and you should avoid any problems.

To this paste, add tamari, lemon, miso, tahini, and tomato paste and whisk until well incorporated. The mixture should still be paste-like. Then slowly pour in the soymilk, whisking constantly, until it is completely incorporated. Add the yeast and mix well. Cook the mixture until it thickens, whisking often. This should take approximately 5 minutes, but it’s flexible. Add salt and pepper to taste.

The only alteration I made to this recipe was adding some Paprika.

So with the wheat allergy, there could obviously be a number of factors; but I have been reading a lot about wheat and have decided that it should be generally avoided. I won't eliminate wheat completely because then I couldn't reintroduce it, but I am definitely going to minimize it.

1 comment:

  1. Can I ask what this reaction was? Sometimes I think maybe I am slightly wheat intolerant, but then I don't.
    Also- have you guys tried Daiya yet? I generally don't like to buy cheese stuffs either but this one is soy-free and doesn't taste like plastic.

    ReplyDelete