Thursday, April 23, 2009

after biting my tongue...

I have refrained from discussing veganism in conjunction with my religious beliefs (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) because I believe everyone has the right to eat as they choose, and it is not my place to interpret doctrine. With that said, 71% of voters (out of 7) and a portion of Rachel's email has prompted me (not a spiritual prompting) to speak on this matter.
Rachel, my sister in law, who is serving a mission in Argentina wrote this today:

"i got hasseled for being a vegetarian again by the elders, scriptures came out, fingers were pointed, modern revelation misquoted... it was great. I clearly can't be one now, but less meat consumption is suggested in the scriptures. save the vacas."

clearly hermana gilman has taken this reproach in jest; however, I am irritated that the other missionaries would 'doctrinally' reprimand her personal decision to abstain from meat. so, you want to play that game? i will share with you how i can justify my eating habits with my spiritual teachings. this will be done in installments, as this blog post would be painfully long if i tried to squeeze it in all in.... stay tuned.

and as for the missionaries and their judgements, i will leave you with a message from Roman 14 verse 3:
Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.
(I will talk more on this chapter later)


No comments:

Post a Comment