Sunday, April 26, 2009

teff

Taking a break from the passionate Veganism and Mormonism posts, I would like to share with you our new grain discovery...teff! If you have heard of teff, bravo, if not I would like to introduce you. Teff is a staple grain of ethiopia, and is the smallest grain in the world, which makes it one of the healthiest because it is made of mostly the bran and the germ. It has a deeper flavor and an interesting consistency when cooked (slighty sticky).

apparently you can make pancakes with it, breakfast cereal, and many other things, but I just prepare it the same way I do quinoa. Boil it with sauteed vegetables and herbs until the water is absorbed (3c. water to 1 c. teff).

So now that you have become acquainted with the grain, I would like you to try it. But because you may be apprehensive to rush out and buy some, and in order to encourgae more blog participation I will be giving some away. Here's how to win:

Post a comment below, about anything...your thoughts on my blog, on other grains, on veganism in general. Next week I will select a person at random and mail you some teff of your own (must live in the US).

6 comments:

  1. i am thinking of going vegan again, just because it is easy for me when there are a plethora of fruits and vegetables available!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's so cute and small. there's this stuff in south africa called semp....i ate it a lot. and if made me fat. but i was GOOOOOD. they eat it with sour milk and other things....i never ate it with the sour milk. although i did try it....it was gross.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love getting new recipes...and healthy ones too! :) Don't worry, your blog is loved and read! Hee hee.... I am down to try teff! Pick me! Pick me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love quinoa. never heard of teff, but i'd like to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i was once vegan for a year but i have a lot of food allergies (citrus fruits, some veggies, and nuts) and i had a hard time finding ways to get all the nutrients etc i need with those limitations. any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not going to lie to myself, or to you... (haha) your recipes look super yum!

    ReplyDelete